Christian Teaching and Sermons Links

Bible Gateway Streaming Audio Bibles
(listen to passages online in your favorite translation)

Walking in the Spirit
(teaching by Mike Bickle of the International House of Prayer ihop.org in Kansas City)

Sonday International - Streaming Audio and Video from Around the World
(includes 2 files by me on the blood of Jesus & how His love is the revelation of God's glory)

Romans 1: 20

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen,

being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead...







Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Prophets and the Truth

I received the following comment to the posting What if Todd Bentley, the AntiChrist, and the Pharisees Threw a Party (but no one came)

"Just remember...The bible is very clear when it comes to prophets. When a person calls themselves a prophet as he has the requirement of God is 100 percent accuracy or you are a false prophet...."

As I responded, I thought that this topic deserves a separate posting. I am no expert, but I want to share what God has been teaching me over time. I understand how the commenter feels, but I think it is also important to look at what the scripture actually says:

Deut 18 21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

This is a statement that if something spoken in the name of the Lord does not come to pass, it was not given by God. That person has spoken presumptuously. It is not necessarily a test to see if a person should be labeled a false prophet. For instance, when I think I hear from the Lord, I may share that with someone. Or, I may sing it as a song in a public setting. Now I do not think God ever misspeaks, but I am human and I can easily not hear correctly or give an interpretation colored by my own flesh. We are living in a different dispensation than when these scriptures were given. Mercy and righteousness kissed at the cross.

For example, we do not practice the preceding scripture 20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ , just as we do not practice the “eye-for-an-eye” retribution of the law and many other things. Although this scripture should make us consider how fearfully serious it is to speak in the name of the Lord, we must also remember we are now subject to a higher law of love - the true and everlasting interpretation of everything given in scripture as shown forth in the person and work of Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

In those previous times, the Holy Spirit came upon individuals for special purposes. Those of us now in Christ Jesus have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit with us always. We can commune and hear from God every day. Our whole lives should be “prophetic” and tested by the Word of God to discern where we are not hearing correctly. It can become confusing to us when the gifts begin to get more of our attention than the Giver of Life. Time and time again I have been turned back to the simplicity of the One thing necessary – that I abide in Christ and in His Word with Him.

The problem with using these scriptures from Deuteronomy as the only litmus test comes from not taking the whole council of scripture into account. If I use this as a litmus test, then any person who does prophesy accurately and work signs and wonders should be considered a true prophet of God. Of course, the Word of God expressly warns against this as well.

2 Thessalonians 2:9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

So, the outward examination of power (prophesy), signs, or wonders, in of themselves is not how God protects us from deception. I think we miss this point pretty often! Instead, He gives discernment as we receive a love for the Truth from Him. It always comes down to focusing on Jesus and the Word of God. Love Him with everything within you!

As I’ve discussed previously, I love to see God’s Holy Spirit move and be manifested through His people. However, the warnings against those who would become false prophets and those who would receive them are very strong. We cannot fully receive the pouring out of God’s Spirit on all flesh unless we are willing to receive the whole council of God’s Word regarding these things in the last days, including warnings against deception. If you believe God that His Spirit will be poured out, you must also believe Him that there will be a great apostasy and much deception. Others hypothesize about the details and how it is being manifested even now. I personally feel it is enough to recognize the sign of the times and cry out to God to fill my heart with a love for and a focus on the truth. This is not to say God has not appointed certain men and women to proclaim both the outpouring of His Spirit and the warnings against deception in specific cases. However, I am of the opinion that many of these self-appointed watchman, while beginning with the right heart, fall into the same trap of the flesh they are speaking against. As for me, I tremble in fear at the awesome Majesty of the Lord and wonder “who am I that He would tell me anything”. I pray the Lord will teach us all the humility we need to run hard after Him, and truly hear His voice clearly. I am frail and easily drawn by my flesh in either direction without submitting everything I am to Christ.

I hope this has been helpful. I tend to get both sides angry at me, but my whole point is that there is ONE side. Focus on communion with Jesus Christ and His Word and God Himself will cause everything to fall into place. This comes to me as I write – “Do not fear little flock, for it is the Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” The kingdom is so much more and so different than we imagine in our limited conception. Oh how I love JESUS, because He first loved me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for your Blog. I appreciate what you are doing. I have a wife who is caught up in the apostolic prophetic (TB) movement and it scares me. I have spoken (argued), prayed over the matter many times. The few times I went to a meeting with her I found God saying "shields up", meaning draw immediately to me in prayer for protection. There is a power there alright but I don't buy into it.

I know the Lord can do anything but Satan can do things too, especially in these later days, and deception is the big one. I once had a JW friend who could find amazing interpretations of scripture to meet his doctrine. I feel many “movements” today do the same. Pray for us if you would.

In Christ, Fred

Talitha said...

Fred,

I just want to encourage you to be thankful to the Lord for your wife who loves Him and is desiring to seek Him. Because God does desire to have a genuine "apostolic/prophetic movement", it is certain satan will try to tempt all involved into corrupting it with the pride of man and anything else he can use. This is why I urge all brothers and sisters to unite under the Truth of seeking Jesus and His Word in a deeper way than ever before - I tell the Father I know nothing good dwells within me that is not of Him and so please give me grace to humble myself under Him over and over, no matter how painful.

As a husband, your prayers are incredibley powerful in protecting and guiding your wife. You have real spiritual authority that you can exercise in that place of prayer. Love and gentleness will go far in discussions of this matter. Encouraging the positive instead of dissecting the negative will help her discern between the true and the false herself. I am sure you will also learn amazing things from the Lord yourself as you recognize your own helplessness and His complete power over all! We are all so rebellious, really, like children. When someone criticizes something we are enthusiastic about, it will naturally cause us to defend and withdraw.